top of page
SUFGANIYOT AKA DONUTS
2 ¼ cups AP flour
1 ts salt
¼ cup warm almond milk +
¼ cup room temperature almond milk
1 tbsp dry yeast
¼ cup sugar
Half of Greek style coconut yogurt cup (plain)
2 tbsp apricot jam
1 ts vanilla extract
Zest of one small lemon
Vegetable or canola oil for frying
Any type of filling you like- I highly recommend
black cherry preserves and/or Trader Joe's Cookie and Cocoa swirl!
1. In a medium bowl, mix the ¼ cup of warm milk with the yeast and set aside for 5 min.
2. Put the flour and and salt in a stand mixer with the dough hook attached.
3. Add the room temperature milk and sugar to the bowl and mix.
4. Turn on the mixer and slowly add the milk mixture.
5. Add all the rest of the ingredients and mix on low-medium speed for 7 minutes.
* The dough should look shiny and MOIST. If it looks dry try adding another teaspoon of milk and if it looks wet add another tbsp of flour.
6. Transfer the dough into a clean bowl with a touch of oil on the bottom, cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for an hour in a warm dry place.
7. Divide your dough into 8 equal medium pieces or 6 equal bigger pieces and roll every piece into a ball shaped donut.
8. Place the donuts on an oiled baking pan, cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for another 40 minutes.
9. Turn on the heat under your frying pan with the *oil and heat on high for 5 minutes.
*The amount of oil you’ll need depends on the size of the donuts and the depth of the frying pan you’re using. Add enough oil that will allow your donuts to float freely. If the oil is too low the bottom of your donuts will touch the bottom of the pan and will burn quickly.
10. Lower the heat to low-medium and after a minute start adding your donuts.
***I would start by trying one donut first to check the oil temperature. It should take between 1-1:30 min for each side to brown nicely. If your donut turns brown before you’ve reached one minute- the oil is too hot! And if it takes more than 1:30 min- the oil is not hot enough!
11. Transfer your donuts onto a baking pan lined with paper towels.
12. Fill a pastry bag with your favorite filling, insert the tip of the bag deep into the top of the donut and fill until you have entirely filled the hole you’ve created.
13. Dust with powdered sugar!
bottom of page